Support for disabled women

Disabled women are twice as likely to experience domestic violence than non-disabled women (1995 British Crime Survey, also confirmed by data from other countries). They are also likely to experience abuse over a longer period of time and to suffer more severe injuries as a result of the violence.

Women’s Aid Annual Survey 2014 showed that:

  • 95% of women suffered adverse effects on their mental health as a result of the abuse;
  • 6.9% of women in refuge had a physical impairment;
  • 1.9% had a sensory impairment; and
  • 3.2% had a learning impairment.

If you are disabled, your abuser may also be your carer, or your personal assistant and you may be reliant on him/her for personal care or mobility. You can be subject to physical, psychological, sexual or financial violence in any or all of the ways that non-disabled women are abused, but in addition you may experience the following forms of abusive behaviour:

  • Your abuser may withhold care from you or undertake it neglectfully or abusively.
  • Your abuser may remove mobility or sensory devices that you need for independence.
  • Your abuser may be claiming state benefits in order to care for you – enabling him to control your finances more effectively.
  • Your abuser may use your disability to taunt or degrade you.

If you are experiencing domestic violence and you are disabled, you may find it harder to protect yourself or to access sources of help.

  • You may be more physically vulnerable than a non-disabled woman.
  • You may be less able to remove yourself from an abusive situation.
  • You may be socially isolated both because of your disability and as a result of your abuser’s control of your social relationships.
  • You may find it harder to disclose abuse because you have no opportunity to see health or social care professionals without your abuser being present.

If you are disabled, you may have particular concerns about moving out of your home: it may have been specially adapted for you, or perhaps a care package has been organised and you are worried that you will lose your current level of independence if you are forced to move elsewhere. You may be reluctant to report domestic violence from a partner whose care you depend on, and which you believe enables you to stay out of institutional care.

Seeking help

As a disabled woman, you may be regarded as a “vulnerable adult”, and in this case, the multi-agency Policies and Procedures for the safeguarding and protection of vulnerable adults will apply. All areas have had to develop these policies and procedures following on from the publication of the Government’s No Secrets guidance. The criteria for being defined as a “vulnerable adult” vary from area to area – but if you do fit the criteria set in your area, than all agencies (both statutory and voluntary) have to follow these procedures.

You may be reluctant to report domestic abuse if you do not feel confident you will be believed or that your concerns will be taken seriously. You may also think that there is little that anyone can do, and nowhere for you to go. If you decide you want to leave your abuser, refuge-based support and other domestic violence services may not always be appropriate. Some refuge accommodation may not be accessible, and you may need help with personal care or other needs (such as sign language interpreters or transport).

There is help and support available for any woman experiencing domestic abuse. Many domestic abuse services are able to support disabled women and have outreach services or independent advocacy services which can help you. If you need safe accommodation many refuges now have full wheelchair access, and workers who can assist women and children who have special needs such as hearing or visual impairments, and some Women’s Aid organisations offer BSL interpreters.

For more information, contact the Freephone 24 Hour National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247

Useful links

Dial UK
There are around 120 local Disability Information and Advice Line services (DIALs) throughout Great Britain run by and for disabled people. To find out if there is a DIAL that covers your area call: 0808 800 3333
You can also find out online at

Disability Alliance
Disability Alliance has had to close their helpline due to lack of funding. However, it is the leading authority on social security benefits for disabled people, and the website contains regularly updated information about benefits, tax credits and community care.

RNIB helpline
Information and support for anyone with visual impairment and sight problems. RNIB helpline is on 0303 123 9999

Deaf Hope
DeafHope is the only sign-language based service designed to help Deaf women and children who suffer domestic violence. They have a text service on 07970 350366

Action on Hearing Loss (formerly the RNID)
Information service for deaf and hard of hearing people, their carers, families and professionals. Telephone: 0808 808 0123 (freephone) Textphone: 0808 808 9000 (freephone) SMS: 0780 0000 360

Find more information and support in The Survivor’s Handbook

© 2022 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policyProtect yourself onlineMedia │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?